Red velvet with cinnamon cream cheese frosting
The party was AARP themed since the birthday girl was turning 50... she took it like a champ!
Chocolate with peanut butter buttercream and chocolate peanut butter sauce
One of my favorite co-workers commissioned me to make 50 cupcakes for another awesome co-worker of ours and of course I was super excited. After talking it over we settled on three flavors:
- Chocolate with peanut butter buttercream and peanut butter chocolate fudge sauce
- Classic yellow cake with dark chocolate cream cheese frosting
- Red velvet with cinnamon cream cheese frosting and red velvet crumb topping
I had made all of the icing and cakes on their own and some together over the past few years but I had never used the cinnamon cream cheese frosting in the past and it was so good that I had to share it with you all. This is crazy simple, and really nothing fancy but it ads a whole new delicious layer to a red velvet cake. It's so subtle that you can't really pinpoint what it is but when you do it is such a surprise that it makes everyone smile. Try it on you next red velvet cupcake and I promise you wont be disappointed.
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (you can also use nutmeg)
- 1 tbl heavy whipping cream (this is optional but I find it helps the frosting to be extra fluffy)
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Slowly add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and heavy cream mix until well combined.
- Add the cream cheese and beat on high for about 5 min or until the frosting is light and fluffy. Try not to over-beat.