Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pie's

Jose Tellez down in CBN took this photo for me, I think it came out really great. All of mine are super green from the lighting in the room. I promise my next post will have better photos :-)

In addition to my mini pumpkin cheesecakes that I made for our office Chili cook-off I also made some mini pumpkin whoopie pies. If you read my blog often you will find I love to make whoopie pies. I just think they are fun, super easy, and taste great. Since it is the season of pumpkin and I had already made pumpkin cheesecakes I thought I would stick with the theme and go with pumpkin whoopies, I mean what isn't to like? Pumpkin as an ingredient makes for some really moist and flavorful desserts - everyone loved them and they were the perfect size to just pop in our mouth. These would be awesome for kids on Thanksgiving, they are so good they might even want to help you make them.

Pumpkin Whoopies:
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tblsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350, line two making sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and salt into a bowl or piece of waxed paper.
  3. In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the brown sugar and butter on low speed until just combined. Add in the pumkin, then the egg, beating well. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
  4. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat on low until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
  5. Using a small ice-cream scoop or a pastry bag or really anything you choose... make small rounds of the batter as small or large as you like. I made mini ones so I used my eye to make them all roughly the same size and by using a large round tip on the end of my pastry bag. Make sure to space them at least two inches apart from each other.
  6. Bake one sheet at a time for about 12-15 minutes each, or until the cakes begin to crack and are firm to the touch (this will also change depending on how small are large you make them). Let the cakes cool completely before icing them.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth,
  2. Add the cream cheese and beat until combined.
  3. Slowly add the powdered sugar, maples syrup and vanilla until smooth.

To assemble:
  1. Flip over half of the completely cooled whoopies so the flat side is facing up.
  2. Pipe enough to cover the whoopie 1 1/2 tsp - 1 tblsp of icing depending on how large the whoopies are.
  3. Place another whoopie flat side down on top and press down lightly. If your icing gets too soft you can always put it in the fridge before hand to firm it up a bit. These are best served at room temperature. Store left overs in an airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails