Saturday, June 5, 2010

Large Chocolate Chip Cookies

Butter and sugars before they are mixed

Dough before the chips are added (my favorite part!)

Who doesn't like chocolate chip cookie dough?

For my entire life the only chocolate chip cookie I have ever made have been from my family recipe that has been handed down. I love chocolate chip cookies probably more than any other dessert so I wanted to make some, only I'm not quite ready to release my family recipe on the internet. The chocolate chip cookies I normally make are light and fluffy, I thought I should try making something different - I chose a recipe that made more of a large crispy on the outside gooey on the inside cookie. Not to mention these are giant sized cookies so 1 is all you will need to ease that sweet tooth. They were really easy to make as most cookies are, and a huge hit.

INGREDIENTS:

2 Sticks of cold and cubed unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp table or fine sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 cups of good quality semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
you can add 1 cup of walnuts if you want

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375
1. If you have a stand mixer use the paddle attachment. Cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mix in vanilla and beat until well incorporated.
2. In another bowl mix your dry ingredients together- flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder. Slowly add this mixture into the batter until just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
3. If you like you can weigh out the dough into 4 ounce balls, I don't have a scale so I didn't weigh mine so don't stress if you don't. Just make sure you make your cookies large, to give you an idea only 4 balls would fit on a cookie sheet at a time making sure to allow plenty of room for them to spread out when they bake. Place them on a sheep pan lined with parchment and bake for 15 min depending on how gooey and rawish you like the interior, they should be lightly browned on the edges. Make sure you don't overbake or they will be very chewy. Keep in mind that when cookies cool they harden a good bit.
5. Let cool on a rack and store in an airtight container so they don't turn to bricks.

These are best eaten right out of the oven or the day they are made. To freshen them after a fews days give them a quick turn in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. You can always make them smaller if you like, I am sure they would be just as good.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you use chilled butter. I'll give your recipe a try, just as soon as my last batch of Belgian Chocolate Chip cookies are gone (was recently in Belgium and brought home some fantastic chips).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails